Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 8 2014 Athens



July 8 2014

Today we were to arrive in Athens.  We were scheduled to arrive at 7:45 a.m.  Last week if you read my blog, we were sitting in the harbor for over an hour waiting for clearance from the harbor master to come into port.  The Athens Port is the busiest in the Mediterranean.  Well today, the opposite was true.  I woke up at 7:15 a.m. and we were already in port.  I didn’t even hear Captain Robert bring us in.  However, he came in forward first, so he didn’t turn the ship around, so it was pretty quiet.  This is what I get to look out outside my window.  Wonder whose yacht this is?



I had decided last night that I was going to do the Hop On Hop Off Bus today because I wanted to go shopping in Athens.  The Bus is $22 euros for the day, but to take the taxi was $25 euros each way, so figured I would take the scenic route and enjoy the journey.  The bus departs every 30 minutes, 15 minutes after the hour and 15 minutes before the hour.  The Bus is stationed just off to the left side of the terminal when you exit about 200 yards away.  A two to three minute walk.  I got there and asked (there were two other companies there also).  Hop On Hop Off is Red buses.  They told me $22 euros, but they would do it for $20 euros.  I didn’t ask for the discount, they just gave it to me.  Put in on my American Express card, no cash needed.  Here’s pictures from the ship to the bus:



Drove right by the Magic as we started our journey



We drove through Piraeus (where we docked).  Athens is about 30 minutes away, but taking the scenic route it takes you about an hour to get to the Acropolis.  The locals go swimming in the beach each morning. The bus stops there is you want to go to the beach.  It is called Votsalakia Beach.




We then headed past the futbol (soccer) stadium used for the Olympics and the Peace and Friendship Stadium used for basketball during the Olympics (2004).  We also went by the beach volleyball and the tae kwon do stadiums.



We arrived at the Acropolis (about 1 hour) and then that bus goes back on the loop to the ship, or you can change to the blue line and continue your journey to more historic sites in the city (Temple of Zeus, Changing of the Guards, National Garden, just to name a few).  I wanted to go to Plaka which is the restaurant and shopping district on small streets below the Acropolis by the Museum.  It was a couple of stops away on the blue line.




I went to the Kosmikon Restaurant for a Chicken Gyro.  They have an outdoor restaurant and if you sit down and have table service it costs more, but if you go inside and buy your gyro it is only 2.30 euro.  It was the best gyro I have had this trip.  They also have free internet.






Then I headed up and down the streets shopping and checking out the architecture of the area.  I love the little streets and outdoor patios all around.





Then I stopped for Gelato and got a pistachio and mint chocolate chip gelato.  It was yummy!


As I headed back to catch the Hop On Hop Off bus this woman was yelling at this poor young greek girl.  I wish I knew what she was saying, cuz it was all greek to me… LOL.  But seriously would have liked to have known what she was so upset about.



Got on the blue line and returned to the Acropolis and got a couple more pictures




Then headed back on the red line for a direct route back to the port of Pireaus.  The journey back only takes 30 minutes.  One thing that bothers me in Athens is all the graffiti everywhere.  I mean, it is everywhere.  They don’t make any effort to clean it up.



We were scheduled to leave at 6:45 pm.  It looked like we had everyone on board, and the port agent signed us off, but we sat for another 45 minutes until leaving due to port traffic.  We had to wait for some ferries to arrive before the pilot boat could take us out.

So, while I was waiting I decided it was time for my new adventure of the day.  I was going to eat dinner in Cabanas.  Have never not eaten in the restaurants downstairs or Palo so this was going to be a new experience for me.  I got to Cabanas about 7:15 pm and immediately was seated at a table right next to the window on the AFT so I could see all the activities going on at the port.  Plus I wanted to get some pictures as we left port from the view at Cabanas.  

Cabanas is open from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. each night.  It is table service, not buffet.  They serve a smaller menu than what is offered downstairs, but I had no problem with ordering off the menu.  I had broccoli cheddar soup (it was on the children’s menu), but it was delicious.



I had my salad from downstairs brought up (I have a lettuce, tomato and avocado salad each night).  However, the salad seems to grow bigger and bigger each day during my cruise.  They served me enough tonight for 3 nights worth.



I ordered the rib eye steak and steamed vegetables for my main course.  They cook right there in the galley and bring to you hot off the grill







We were leaving port by then so got some pictures of the city as we were leaving



It was then time for my dessert and I got the Strawberry Shortcake.


I would rate my overall experience in Cabanas as 4 stars.  The restaurant was not busy.  Lots of officers eating in there.  In fact, Brent’s wife and children are on board, and they were also there.  It is casual, it is much quieter than the dining rooms downstairs.  To be quite honest I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I might even eat there again during this cruise.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I was done eating within 45 minutes of arriving.
I headed off to Bingo.  Didn’t win tonight, but all 4 games I was one number away from Bingo.  Maybe tomorrow night!
Next I headed to the Walt Disney Theater to see the Magic and Illusion of Kyle Knight and Mistie.  They had an excellent family show.  The children loved all the magic and he got the guests involved in the magic and illusions.
We are now headed to Kusadasi, Turkey and will dock early in the morning.  I am going to the Turkish Baths, another item on my bucket list.
It is already going on 1:30 a.m.  The time just flies by when you are vacationing.
Headed to bed for my early morning.
Goodnight from the Disney Magic!







5 comments:

  1. That rib eye looks so good. I know where I am eating next time I am on board. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need to go to Cabanas. I was very impressed with the food and service and it was so much quieter than the dining rooms!

      Delete
  2. Linda, I will only order steak from (now) Cabanas because it is hot off the grill. In the main dining rooms, it is not as good in my opinion, and since we always eat there on formal and semi-formal nights, I don't mind skipping steak when we eat downstairs. We really like the more casual, quieter, and often intimate setting upstairs. Sometimes you will see the guest entertainers there as well.

    The hop on hop off sounds easy. How much time before all aboard did you start heading back? That's the part where I always worry a bit in case transportation becomes a problem, so I double the amount of time I think I need then add another thirty minutes. Which means I short myself on time in the port. Still trying to figure out the best ratio of time to allow.

    Enjoy Turkey. With the time difference, you are probably just beginning your morning as I am posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hop on hop off bus runs all the way until 5:45 pm getting you back to the ship at 6:15 p.m. All aboard is 6:45 p.m. However, I would never get it that close to sailaway. I would probably take the 5:15 p.m. at the latest to give me an extra hour in case of any problems. I took the 3:15 p.m. bus if I remember right and was back at 3:45 p.m. just as their schedule said. The first bus from the port was 8;45 a.m. I took the 9:15 bus and was at the Acropolis at 10:15.

    ReplyDelete