Wednesday, July 23, 2014

July 21 2014 Mykonos



July 21 2014

Of course, it is another beautiful morning when the sun rises on the Disney Magic.  This cold is not helping me sleep very well and I think I was awake every hour last night and wide awake by 5 a.m., so I watched from my oceanview stateroom as we arrived in Mykonos, Greece about 6:30 a.m. 



Cleaned up my stateroom a little (not too much-LOL) and got ready for the day.  I decided to take my time getting off the ship this morning.  Our whole group decided that we were going to do our own thing today.  George and Kathy went in for a nice lunch in Mykonos, Ken and Christie did some shopping, Scott and Lynn went exploring and Michael decided after he was already on shore to rent an ATV ($30 euro for the day) and go to three different beaches.  If I had known Michael was getting an ATV (which he didn’t know til he did it), I would have rented an ATV also and gone exploring with him.

At 10 a.m. I headed out to Mykonos, and did a little exploring, and then, if you have been following my blog, you will know that I went to Gelarte, my favorite place in Mykonos and got a strawberry waffle for breakfast and uploaded pictures and posted to my blog from the day before.  For some reason, when we get this far south on the ship, the uploading of pictures takes longer than normal and the internet connection doesn’t seem to be as great, so I go into town where there is free wi-fi and do it there.


I just had to take this next picture of a retriever swimming in the ocean because it reminded me of our golden retriever, Sebastian, who has now been gone for over 5 years.  I am sure he is in doggy heaven chasing those bunnies.  I sure miss him, he was a great dog.




Did some exploring, wandering up to the windmills of Mykonos.  It was really windy today.  Much more so than the last two visits to the island.



Explored down some new paths in Mykonos and enjoyed the walking and shopping in new areas that I haven’t been before.



I saw this ferry boat pulling in beside the Disney Magic from the shore, and it looked like it was going to hit the ship, so I had to take a picture.  I am sure it was far away if you were up close, but from where I was at, I was a little nervous.




At 5 p.m. there was a deck party “OPA A Celebration of Greece” and my door was highlighted on the big screen during the celebration.





The show tonight in the Walt Disney Theater is “Walt Disney, The Dream Goes On.”  It is one of my favorites.  Goes through the history of Walt Disney and his life through storytelling and song.  It really makes you appreciate even more what Walt created and how he continued to reach for his dream when obstacles were in his way.  Also, I think it helps the younger generations to know that Walt Disney was a person, not just theme parks and cruise ships!  The end really pulls at the heart strings and leaves many with a tear or two in their eyes.

Afterwards, we went to Bingo and our losing streak continued.  I guess I need to take Olaf back to Bingo with me.

For dinner, Scott and Lynn got headwear since they didn’t wear their Greek headpieces Michael had brought us.



George looked like he had a halo on his head!


There is a new Irish Band on board called Goitse.  They are in O’Gills, the Irish Pub on board.  They are excellent.  We listened to them this evening.

Decided we better get to bed at a decent hour (midnight-ha).  We are going to meet at 7:15 a.m. because we want to be first off the ship in Santorini because you have to tender into the port and then either take the cable car to the top, ride a donkey, or walk the 600 or so steps (not!).  Hopefully we will be able to get off quickly and start our private tour that Michael has arranged for us.  I am really looking forward to Disney’s first visit to Santorini, Greece and I hear it is beautiful and we will fall in love with the place.

My cold is a little better tonight.  Hopefully, I am on the road to quick recovery.

Goodnight from the Disney Magic!

2 comments:

  1. Love the picture of Micheal at sail away. Are you riding donkeys? I would. And ATVs would have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope by the time you see this that you are feeling well again. I will miss your nearly weekly visits to Mykonos. I'm getting sad that your trip is nearing its end. But how wonderful to have had opportunity to visit so many places and not have to cram everything into a single day.

    ReplyDelete