Friday, July 11, 2014

July 10 2014 Rhodes



July 10 2014

(Note:  Sorry for the delay in posting, having some internet issues on board with downloading pics.  If they don't all download I will update with pictures again once we arrive in Venice)

Today we arrived in Rhodes, Greece.  Had an early morning arrival.  When I woke up at 6:22 a.m. we were already docked.

I decided to get up and get moving and get my walking in before it got too hot. When I got off the ship about 8 a.m. it was a really nice temperature, but was really windy.  Made for a bad hair day.  This week, unlike last week, there were no Greek folk dancers and no one handing out maps of Rhodes and giving visitor information.

I took a walk down the waterfront past Old Town to see what I could find.  




I walked quite a ways.  I found the charter boats that you could go to Lindos for only $15 euro both ways.  They left at 9:30 a.m., but they return at 5:15 p.m.  A half an hour after we were suppose to depart.  I later ran into a guy I know whose name is Eddie and he suggested that I take the boat and just go one way and then return on the bus for $5 euros.  He did the bus both ways today and said it took an hour each way.  Then he rode the donkey to the top of the Acropolis in Lindos.  He said it was worth going to.
I then headed into Old Town and stopped at Mike’s (the place where I got my gyro last week) and got a waffle with Nutella, fresh strawberries and vanilla ice cream. Excellent breakfast.

Then did some shopping.  Bought a necklace for myself from the same jewelry store I bought from last week.  The store owner remembered me and gave me a discount off the necklace.


I came upon this gelato store and found that they had an interesting way of displaying their gelato.



Then stopped at Pita Fan and got a Chicken Gyro for $2.30 euro. It was very good, but the one I had at Mike’s last week I liked better because it had more flavor.


Andrea was using free wi-fi up on the balcony at the restaurant so we hollered at each other.



Next I ran into Alvin (part of the Palo team) and his wife Amphie (Assistant Server on my dining rotation) and got pictures.  Alvin and Amphie are getting off at the end of this cruise for vacation and they won’t return to the Magic until October 4th.


Headed back to the ship about 3 p.m. and took a couple of pictures on my walk back.



We were scheduled to depart at 4:45 p.m., but once again a family of 5 decided that they would be late coming back by 25 minutes.  Shortly after they called the family’s name over the sound system, you could see them walking toward the ship with their beach towels as if they had all the time in the world to get back.  As soon as they came up the ramp, they pulled the ramp apart, loaded it on the ship and we were on our way.  Next stop Mykonos. (Can you say gelato?)
Tonight was animation night in Animator’s Palate.  The description in the dinner menu reads “Animator’s Palate delivers a worldwide first – a dining experience that allows you to create the magic!  Let the dazzling concept art and the delicious culinary creations inspire your creativity, then relax and watch as the dining room proudly presents your Animation Magic”.  Here’s my inspired artwork.   It is much better once it comes to life on the screen during the show….just sayin….


So, what I decided for my experience of the day on the Disney Magic that I have never done before was to order something off the vegetarian menu.  I ordered the Savory Spinach and Feta Cheese Pie which was described as “Spinach and Feta Cheese wrapped in Phyllo dough with a warm Chickpea and Tomato slaw.”  Now, my mother is probably thinking to herself as she reads this that “Linda never ate spinach growing up”, and she is right.  I am definitely not a spinach fan, never have been.  But on occasion I have tried it and I can tolerate it (like in quiche) so I figured it couldn’t be half bad.  So, it was pretty bland in taste, couldn’t really taste the feta cheese, and I don’t understand how vegetarians could enjoy this kind of eating when there is so much good stuff out there.  Just my opinion…..if you give me chocolate anything, I am one happy girl. Anyway, I can say I tried it, but it was my first and probably my last time.


The Animation Show was awesome.  I really like this addition to the Disney Magic.  I love being a guest animator (even though my artwork leaves something to be desired).
Completed my color by numbers while waiting for dinner

Headed to Bingo, but didn’t have any luck tonight.

Tonight in the Walt Disney Theater was the tribute to Walt with The Dream Goes On.  It was excellent.
Spent some time organizing my fish extender gifts.  I have received some really nice gifts.  Thanks to everyone who participated in exchanging gifts.  It is amazing to think that what started as a simple gift exchange on the May 2005 Panama Canal cruise has evolved into what it is today on all four ships on every cruise.  It is fun to walk by each stateroom door and see their fish extenders and magnets on the doors.  I enjoy walking each deck and checking out doors in my spare time!
Another late night.  Tomorrow I am going on a DCL excursion to Delos Island.  So will be up early in the morning to visit our last port before heading back up to Venice.  Can’t believe how fast this cruise has gone.
Goodnight from the Disney Magic!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe this cruise is almost over. So glad you have one more!

    My DH is not vegetarian but doesn't like to each much meat. He has tried some of the vegetarian dishes on DCL and not enjoyed any of them.

    We love FEs but you are right... You have to sort thru and organize what you get so you can pack it up to get home. We end up leaving some of the stuff with our stateroom host or the youth counselors for them to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete