Tuesday, July 8, 2014

July 7 2014 Katakolon (Olympia)



July 7 2014

Today we arrived in Katakolon Greece around 8:15 a.m.  (birth place of the Olympics).  Having been here 9 days ago, my goal today was to explore the town of Katakolon at the port (about 600 residents) and not travel to Olympia (30 minutes away).

It was a beautiful morning (again). There hasn’t been an unpleasant one yet.  Every day here is just incredible.  Just make sure to wear sunscreen wherever you are going.  It is hot!  I took this picture upon arrival, but later in the morning I noticed many swimmers just on the other side of the concrete on the shoreline cooling off in the water.



We docked at the dock closer to town this time, so didn’t have to walk as far.  Stopped and said hi to Nikki and Joanna from Olympic Tours as they were waiting for their guests for the tour to Olympia today and the incredible lunch that we had last week.  That was sure good.  Another cheese fried pie sounds really yummy.  I would say maybe next week, but this is the only other time the Magic is in Katakolon.  We have a different itinerary next cruise when we make our way to Barcelona.

I stopped in an Olive wood store and immediately thought of Scott and all his wood turning projects in his barn.  He would really enjoy the wood items here.  So took a picture for him to get an idea of some of the items they had.  A bought an olive wood bracelet and a small olive bowl.



Spent a couple of hours shopping and bought a scarf for my daughter Jamie and one for myself.  I will let her pick from the two when she and Quentin visit me in August.  They are the same but different colors.  100% silk.

After I finished my shopping, I headed back to the ship.



Got my swimsuit and my IPad and headed up to the adult pool to read in the shade.  The ship was empty.  No one was on board.  After about 20 minutes Jeanna came by and we visited for an hour or so.  Found out why she wasn’t in Villains Tonight last night.  She is sick with a cold that she picked up on the previous cruise and she figured the best show to miss was Villains since she is not the major performer in that one.  Her swing took her place last nice.  She was feeling much better this morning.  She takes oregano pills when she gets sick and they seem to do the trick.  I told her even with a cold I am sure she would sound awesome!

Had a nice relaxing afternoon running into other guests on the ship that I have met and visiting. 

Then I started on my quest of the day doing something I have never done before.  I walked each staircase, forward, midship and aft of the Disney Magic.  So never realized this before, but from deck 5 to deck 3 there are 12 steps instead of the normal 8.  When I was walking on the forward staircase I attributed it to the extra space needed in the Walt Disney Theater, but then when I was walking the midship staircase I realized it is probably also for the atrium that covers decks 3 to 5.  There is a single staircase on the aft from Palo on Deck 10 to Deck 9 and then it goes into two staircases that run side to side, so you only have to walk it once.  Same with forward. 

However, on the midship, there is actually a deck 11.  I have been up on deck 11 before, there is a small conference room up there.  It was closed off though so you couldn’t go up there.  There is a single inside staircase from deck 11 to deck 9 and then it switches to two separate staircases all the way to deck 1.  So unlike the forward and aft where you can see all the artwork in one swoop walking each level, for the midship you must walk the two separate staircases.  Also on deck 10 forward and deck 9 forward there are some nice chairs where you can sit and relax. However, I think deck 10 would be quieter than deck 9 since the Senses Spa entrance is right to the side of the deck 9 chairs.





Also, I happened to notice on deck 3 aft that there are 6 pictures of birds to the side of the elevators next to the stairs and it made me think….were these here before or were they placed when they re-imagined the Magic last year as a small tribute to Parrot Cay which no longer exists?  Just an interesting thought I had.




Then it was time to get ready for dinner.  Tonight was Animator’s Palate and I had the best seat in the house for Mickey’s visit during the show.  I colored my kid’s menu to pass the time.  Michael wasn’t here to compete with me in the games though, but I am practicing for the next cruise so I can beat him! Got a great picture of Amphie, Alvin’s wife during the show too!





It was time for Bingo so headed to Fathom’s to play.  The winning streak continues.  Won $153 today!  Yippee!  That more than pays for my Turkish bath in Ephesus later in the week.

Next it was time to hurry to the Walt Disney Theater to see Paul Zerdin, who is a comedian and ventriloquist.  He is from Europe.  He has a good show.  A couple of his jokes would be more appropriate in the adult show instead of the family show.  But besides that I enjoyed it.

After that I delivered some more gifts that I had, finished another book I was reading and then decided to watch The Parent Trap.  Did you know that when Nicholas and Elizabeth get married on the Queen Elizabeth II that they do fireworks on deck.  Can't be true though, Disney is the first to do fireworks at sea LOL!  And I have to say it is probably the best movie Lindsey Lohan every did in her career.  

After that I decided to do my blog for the day before bed.  Tomorrow is Athens.  I did some research and I think I will try the hop on hop off bus tomorrow for $22 euros.

Goodnight from the Disney Magic!


2 comments:

  1. Wow - up and down every staircase - must have gotten a lot of steps in and justifies the next gelato or two you want. Next time I will walk them with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done a photo tour of the Magic before (meaning I took pictures of the pictures) so when I remember, I will see if the bird pics were there before. I think they were but I am not sure. I found that area had great wifi signal so often posted last year's blog from that area.

    Sounds like another lovely day. Glad things are going well and you have had great weather. And thanks so much for your daily posts... I am thoroughly enjoying your vacation!

    ReplyDelete